Mersing is located on the east coast of the peninsular Malaysian state of Johor. It is the main departure point for ferries to the nearby offshore islands such as Tioman Island.
Tioman Island is part of the Pahang territory; however, it is closer to the mainland of Johor. Thus, the journey from Mersing to Tioman is preferably covered through the ferry services located in Mersing. This makes Mersing Jetty as the main gateway to Tioman Island.
Ferry from Mersing to Tioman
Travel Via Ferry
There are 2 main ferry companies for transporting tourists from Mersing to Tioman Island
- Premium Ferry Service.
- Good Condition of all Ferries.
- Higher adherence to safety standards.
- Accurate Sailing Time and runs as per schedule.
- Higher than average ticket prices.
- Average Ferry Condition.
- Inaccurate sailing time.
- Average Service quality.
- Cheaper Ferry Prices.
How to reach the Ferry Terminal:
Getting to Mersing Jetty is quite easy too.
- Locals and tourists can board a bus and get off at the Mersing Bus Terminal.
- From the Bus Terminal, the ferry terminal is a mere 10 minutes’ walk.
- Buses are the most economical means of travelling in Mersing.
- Both the buses and taxis are available easily.
- You can also hire a taxi to reach the Mersing Ferry Terminal directly.
Points to note:
- There is no ticket counter on Tioman Island. Therefore, you are advised to book a return trip from Mersing Jetty before you go to Tioman Island.
- The ferry ticket price is priced between 18 to 20 USD per person for a round trip depending on the season and date of travel.
- The ferry generally runs 3 times a day, if the weather is good.
- Also, please take note that the ferry schedule is subject to last minute changes, so it is always wise to reconfirm with the ferry company or your travel agent 1-2 days before travel.
- It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to travel from Mersing to Tioman Island.
- The time varies depending on which village you choose to get off.
- It also depends on the tide and the general sea conditions.
- The public ferry from Mersing to Tioman Island sails on an irregular schedule.
- The schedule is released 1-2 weeks before the forthcoming month.
- Tourists may only book the ferry tickets upon the schedule being made available by the ferry companies.
Facilities at the Ferry Station:
Being the central conveyance point, Mersing Jetty has abundant facilities at the ferry terminal and in the nearby areas to meet the needs and wants of the tourists before departure.
- Neat and Clean Restrooms are available for use.
- Further, a variety of food, souvenir and other general use shops are there in the vicinity.
Best time to visit
- The best time to visit Mersing and Tioman is between March and October.
- The northeast monsoon transforms this tropical gem into a desolated place between the end of October and the beginning of March; many resorts are closed during this period.
Tioman Island is a well-known island among Malaysian locals and it is situated off the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. This island is known for its spectacle diving along with snorkelling activities with crystal-clear greenish sea water. Tioman Island is considered as one of Southeast Asia’s most breath-taking island for its commendable ecological and geological paradise.